Kola's FISH STICKS
and Special Sauce
My boys love my homemade Fish Sticks.
They're REALLY EASY to make and they go great with our
"special" Tartar sauce.
They usually catch "Blue Gills" from the lake out back and I make
a "stick" of fish from scratch. You don't have to do that...you can buy COD or Tilapia or Red Snapper to make fish sticks.
This recipe is for CRUNCHY fish sticks. They like 'em crunchy and
the secret to our crunch is that I use "Panko Bread Crumbs."
They're Asian bread crumbs & very crispy-crunchy delicious,
you'll love them.
(1) Get a bowl and pour in 2 cups of milk, teaspoon of Garlic powder,
2 teaspoons of Bay Seasoning (or fish powder), salt, pepper.
(2) Take your fish (Cod, Tilapia, Red Snapper) and cut the "strips"
into slender but semi-thick fish sticks. Place them in the bowl of milk
and let soak IN REFRIGERATOR for about Half Hour.
( *You have to figure out these measurements in accordance with
what fish you have.)
**After that 30 minutes is about up, put your oven around 425 or 450 degrees.
(3) Get 3 small bowls...
Bowl #1---mix 1 cup flour, half cup corn meal in one bowl...
Bowl #2--beat 2 or 3 eggs, whisk them
Bowl #3--put 1/2 cup grated Parmesean cheese with 1 cup bread crumbs (preferrably Panko Bread Crumbs you ordered online or got at supermarket). You could also use Fennel Bread Crumbs, but nothing is
tastier than using the Asian Panko Bread Crumbs.
(4) Oil up a baking pan, baking dish and put that in the oven to be
getting nice and warm. Oil it up though.
(5) Take your fish sticks out of the milk and sort of pat-dry it with
paper towels. I usually shake Celery Salt on both sides of my
strips of fish, but you can use salt/pepper or whatever you like.
My ex-hubby liked Cayenne pepper, but I use Celery Salt for the
boys. Just season the strips, each side.
Then....Immediately start dousing each strip of fish with Bowl #1,
the flour & corn meal mixture.
(6) Dip the Fish Strips in the Egg mixture of Bowl #2.
(7) Cover the Fish Strips in the Panko Bread Crumbs in Bowl #3.
(8) Take your baking dish from the oven, pan, whatever & arrange
the strips in that, but try not to let them touch too closely. Side by
side is OK...but no overlapping.
(9) Bake those for about 8 minutes...then turn over and bake them
for about 8 minutes more. They're done.
Kola's SPECIAL "TARTAR" SAUCE:
*Chop up half a "dill pickle" really tiny, fine.
(1) Get a bowl and mix:
1 cup of Best Food's Mayonnaise
1 tablespoon of Mustard
1 tablespoon of Horse Radish Sauce (hot)
1 half finely chopped Dill Pickle
1 teaspoon of Sweet pickle relish (only a teaspoon)
2 teaspoons lemon juice
(2) Mix all that together and CHILL IT for at least 2 hours.